Preparing Your Home before Foot Surgery
You may know the drill for preparing your body for an operation—stopping smoking or medications if necessary, not eating the night before, making sure you are rested—but what about preparing your home before surgery? A big part of successful foot surgery is the recovery period, and that can be made a lot easier if you plan ahead a bit. Here are some things you should do:
- Clear clutter, move furniture, get rid of throw rugs, and secure electric cords so you can easily and safely get where you need to go.
- Make a downstairs bedroom if you don’t have one – we don’t want you tottering on the steps if you can avoid it.
- Put in handrails where you need them (showers, halls, bathrooms) and put up nightlights so you can see your way in the dark.
- Organize closets and dressers so easy-to-slip-on clothing is handy. A tool to help pick up things without bending or crouching may also be helpful
- Fill cupboards, fridge and freezer with ready-to-eat or easily-prepared meals, and store them so you can get at them with little effort.
Getting ready for foot surgery will not only make things easier when the time comes, it will also let you relax and go into the procedure knowing that your life is as organized as possible. In fact, you may enjoy that feeling so much that you’ll keep up some of these habits (less clutter, pre-made meals) as you return to your normal routine after you’ve recovered.
We want to make your surgery as comfortable and trouble-free as possible. That means explaining fully what procedure you will have done and why, discussing anesthesia, medications, and aftercare, and answering any other questions you may have. Expect the highest standard of foot care when you come to Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialists of Arizona. You can set up your appointment for anything from ingrown toenails to tendon repair surgery by calling our office at (480) 963-9000. We’re ready to help you solve your foot issues!