As a parent, you are probably used to handling the minor injuries that come with having a kid or two. From cuts and bruises to more serious injuries that require anxious hours in the emergency room, getting hurt is part of the experience of growing up and having fun.
Chronic pain, however, is not something that children should face. Many children and teens experience heel pain and other complaints, but like other injuries, most parents hope it will heal with rest and time. For many children, however, these conditions could worsen without treatment. Fortunately, treatment is available, and can often be quite simple.
Keeping Kids on the Move
Over time, people have come to picture podiatry as a practice reserved for older adults, when foot and ankle problems plague people of all ages and activity levels. Chronic foot and ankle pain does not discriminate, and young children often find themselves sidelined with pain and discomfort that they cannot explain.
At Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialists of Arizona, our team of foot care professionals are dedicated to helping kids and teens overcome their pain by treating a variety of common problems, including:
- Sports Injuries and Sprains: Children begin sports at a younger age than ever, and occasionally, a sprain comes along with the territory. Improper care and physical therapy after a sprain can lead to long-term complications, so come see us today for the care and attention your child’s injury deserves.
- Fractures and Repetitive Stress Injuries: Also common in young athletes are fractures and overuse injuries. For children involved in high-impact sports, or those who just enjoy the riskier activities in life, fractures of the foot, toes, and heel can put a serious damper on their fun. Young bones need proper care to heal correctly, and our pediatric foot care professionals can help.
- Sever’s Disease and Heel Pain: Has your child complained about heel pain? This could be a sign of Sever’s disease, a true “growing pain” of sorts caused by your child’s heel growth plate growing faster than the Achilles tendon. This can cause pain as the tendon and leg muscles strain to accommodate quickly growing bones; simple orthotic inserts and stretching therapy can greatly reduce tightness and pain.
- Plantar Warts: Plantar warts most commonly appear in children. While not a serious problem, warts can often cause pain when they crop up on weight-bearing parts of the foot and grow inward. Our office offers effective, in-office treatments that can rid your child of warts in a few short weeks.
- Flat Feet: Most babies and young children have very flat feet, but after the age of seven, the structure of the foot will likely remain the same. Flat feet in children are usually due to the hereditary shape of the foot rather than an injury, but left untreated, may cause lifelong knee, hip, and back problems. We offer custom orthotics that can help your child’s feet develop proper structure by providing needed support.
- Pediatric Bunions: Kids can get bunions too, and in fact, it’s important to treat them as soon as possible to slow progression. Stretches, orthotics, splints that hold the toe in proper position, and shoes that fit properly are all helpful in managing the condition.
Kick Childhood Foot Pain for Good at Advanced Foot & Ankle Specialists of Arizona
Your child should enjoy a life free of foot pain, and our pediatric foot and ankle care professionals are here to help! For injuries or ongoing pain and tenderness, visit our two East Valley locations to learn how we can get your child back to their active, pain-free life! Call us today to schedule an appointment at our Chandler (480) 963-9000 office.